The Company Ethos
Our client is an extremely successful and professional geo-technical and geo-environmental engineering and ground investigation consultancy, established in 2000. Expanding throughout the UK they provide innovate technical advice and solutions to a range of clientele from individuals to multi-national companies and across various sectors, including construction, infrastructure and renewable energy.
Their previous and current work portfolio includes a breadth of projects, each offering exposure to different types of services, challenges and experience.
They also offer employees the opportunity of an excellent training scheme, ongoing mentor support from a range of specialists, business collaboration and rapid career progression. Our client also advocates maintaining a healthy work-life balance and promotes a good working environment.
As a company and as individuals they believe core values must include: honesty, openness, integrity, personal excellence and continuous self-improvement where taking pride in honouring commitments and responsibilities shows commitment to providing technical and environmental services of the highest quality to clients. Customer satisfaction is recognised as paramount to success.
The Job Role
Our client is currently recruiting for a Geo-technical Engineer / Engineering Geologist upto principal level to join the team in either Exeter or Portsmouth. We are specifically looking for candidates that have proven relevant experience in Company Development, Managing Ground Investigations / Engineers and Approving Technical Reports.
The role involves undertaking the following tasks effectively and efficiently:
1. Work closely with our Commercial Manager in developing new opportunities with potential new clients, as part of the expansion of the company and in particular the Portsmouth office of which you will be expected to take an important and leading role. Actively contribute to continuous improvement and development by offering innovative suggestions for change and driving the implementation of changes forward within the company.
2. Work closely with our Business Manager in complying and implementing the relevant sections of the company’s policy statement on health, safety, welfare at work, quality and environmental procedures.
3. Work closely with our Operation Manager in maintaining effective relationships with existing local sub-contractors and identifying both company gaps and opportunities.
4. Maintain our excellent working relationships with existing clients and local regulatory authorities.
5. Prepare scoping proposals and tenders for new and existing projects whilst considering resource requirements.
6. Oversee the management, design and implementation of the delivery of Ground Investigations from initial desk study, through site works, laboratory testing and preparation of reporting. Identify and look to resolve any delays with decisive action.
7. Oversee the completion of site-specific Health & Safety Documentation: Risk Assessment Method Statements (RAMS), Construction Phase Plan (CPP) and Permit to Dig forms for each job.
8. Review, critically evaluate and approve reports, calculations, drawings and other documents and ensuring these are appropriately controlled and accounted for.
9. Provide expert advice and technical recommendations, in accordance with current guidance, to clients and regulatory authorities, which includes:
I. Geo-technical: Foundation (Shallow & Deep), Earthworks & Ground Improvement/Stabilisation, Retaining Structure, Slope Stability, Highway and Drainage Design
II. Geo-environmental: Phased Contaminated Land Risk Assessments (Generic & Detailed), Hydro-geological Risk Assessments, Gas Risk & Management of Waste
10. Act as Line Manager to Graduate, Junior, Professional and/or Senior Engineers, which includes:
I. Mentoring: Assisting with the induction and settling in of new employees. Offering support and knowledge. Assisting with training gaps and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
II. Monitoring: Evaluating performance, undertaking periodic appraisals, carrying out formal probation reviews and communicating with Senior Management.
III. Managing: Assisting with recruitment, approving annual leave, monitoring sickness absences, guiding disciplinaries, providing payroll paperwork (starter, amendments and termination forms) and liaising with Support Administrators and/or HR.
11. Adhere to the principles of the company’s equality policy and ensure commitment to anti-discriminatory practice
Other duties: The above accountabilities for the role are not exhaustive and may be varied from time to time as dictated by the changing needs of the Company. The post holder will be expected to undertake other duties as appropriate and as requested by their manager.
The following qualifications, licences and personal attributes are essential for this role:
• BSc, BEng in a Geology, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering or related field. A Master’s degree and/or PhD would be advantageous
• Proven relevant experience within the Ground Investigation and Geo-technical / Geo-environmental Engineering Industry
• Proven relevant experience including taking accountability in reviewing and approving of Geo-technical & Geo-environmental Interpretive and Design Reports
• Proven relevant experience including taking decisive action in the Management of Ground Investigations including overseeing H&S paperwork (RAMS, CPP, PtD) and training
• Proven relevant experience of working with some of the following sectors: house builders, commercial property developers, public sector bodies, manufacturing and industrial
• Proven relevant experience in answering and resolving technical queries from local authorities and regulatory bodies
• Proven relevant experience of Mentoring / Line management of staff and showing clear leadership
• Proven relevant experience of working closely with Senior Management with respect to Company Development including showing drive and innovation.
• Experience of being involved with a relevant Geo-technical / Contaminated Land Working Group would be desirable
• Ability to be manage own workload and meet project deadlines (Autonomy)
• Knowledge of current geo-technical / contaminated guidance, legislation and regulations including monitoring for updates
• Knowledge of current CDM, Health, Safety & Environmental Legislation
• Chartered Membership with the Geological Society
• Full UK Driving licence and access to a vehicle for work purposes
Location – Exeter or Portsmouth
Hours of Work – 37 hours per week 08.30am – 17.00pm (16:30pm Friday)
Remuneration Package – Competitive Salary + 28 Days paid ‘plus’ Bank Holidays + Performance Bonus Scheme + Pension Contributions + Flexible Working + Life Cover + Training