Technical work and information management
▪ Undertake geotechnical stability assessments of natural and engineered slope stability for quarries,
landfill sites and other engineering works.
▪ Undertake geotechnical engineering design work with regard to earthworks and engineered slopes
for quarries, landfill sites and other engineering works.
▪ Assist in the design and preparation of civil engineering earthworks including preparation of
specifications and contract documents for landfill construction and contaminated remediation.
▪ Undertake geological investigations for waste management sites, contaminated land, mineral
extraction and other development projects.
▪ Monitor the impact on the environment of contaminated sites including current and former industrial
sites and landfills.
▪ Undertake field supervision of drilling operatives, borehole installation and geological logging of
▪ Undertake supervision and quality assurance of civil engineering earthworks including the
installation of natural and synthetic liners and capping systems for landfills and contaminated sites.
▪ Undertake contract administration for engineering works including attendance at and input to
▪ Oversee the site work of colleagues making sure the scope of works is followed and provide
training of junior colleagues in field methods and procedures.
▪ Review of external documents, databases and reports and collate, assess and present information
▪ Provide support to senior colleagues for complex projects and legal related project works.
▪ Undertake qualitative and quantitative assessments to assess potential design requirements and
risks and verify the quality and accuracy of the assessment, models and inputs prepared by
▪ Keep up to date a detailed knowledge of environmental guidance and legislation relevant to the
area of work and the implications this may have on the objectives in relevant areas of project work.
▪ Be responsible for checking that the quality and technical accuracy of colleagues work is clear and
precise and to a good written standard. To including certain technical and senior level proofing as
▪ Undertake a range of duties arising out of the overall workload of the Company.
Personal effectiveness, interpersonal skills and development
▪ Manage, prioritise and organise own workloads, cooperate with colleagues and manage and assist
colleagues in a way that ensures the most efficient use of time.
▪ Engage and communicate with colleagues to seek and provide feedback on project work, act on
advice and provide advice and continue to improve and develop and apply experience to future
▪ Be responsible for the project management of complex and multiple project. Provide contributions,
ideas, solutions and options for project work.
▪ Provide mentoring and training of colleagues and undertake line management duties and work
towards developing these responsibilities.
▪ Be responsible for completion of own CPD records to demonstrate actively working towards
improving skills through continuous self-learning and development activities.
▪ Have or be working towards Chartership or similar qualification with a professional body/institution.
▪ Attend in-house seminars and training, undertake self-directed study in relevant areas of work
including keeping up to date with key legislation and guidance and attend agreed external training
events and disseminate relevant information to the department.
Project management, finance and commercialism
▪ Liaise with clients and regulatory authorities at an operational level to convey information regarding
relevant projects or investigations.
▪ Plan project works and programmes, manage own time and be responsible for effective project
management to budgets and deadlines including supporting project management of works carried
out by colleagues.
▪ Prepare and / or manage the research of information for the preparation of complex and major
proposals, contract documentation, budgets and programmes of work.
▪ Carry out project work in accordance with procedures in the Company quality management
systems, making sure project related documentation is administered appropriately, provide
feedback to colleagues where appropriate and where necessary corrective actions for
▪ Manage the financial aspects of working to pre-determine project budgets and agree with the
Project Director any changes to budgets.
▪ Have a detailed knowledge of information about services provided by their department to clients
and have a good understanding of the services provide by other departments.
▪ Represent the company at business and social events occasionally and promote the company’s
services and interests at all opportunities.
▪ Engage with professional bodies/trade organisations and contribute and work towards having more
involvement with these organisation.
With minimal supervision independently perform project management, apply advanced principles and
evaluate, select and analyse methods of project work and apply specialist technical skills to more
complex and multidisciplinary assignments. Preform line management duties, check colleagues work,
provide mentoring and contribute to operational aspects of the department.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
▪ BSc, BEng, MSc, MSci or MEng in a Geology, Earth Sciences or Civil Engineering related
▪ Fellow of the Geological Society or Graduate Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Chartership is desirable.
▪ Able to supervise a range of practical works and/or others undertaking field works.
▪ Have a high standard of written work and able to oversee technical work prepared by colleagues.
▪ Computer literate with a good working knowledge geotechnical slope assessment models such as
SlopeW. Experience in the use of CAD and three dimensional digital terrain models such as LSS.
▪ Experience of implementing Quality Management Systems.
▪ Experience of project management and financial control including preparing, working to budgets
and contract administration. Experience of NEC3 and NEC4 contracts.
▪ Good project management, administrative, communication and organisational skills
▪ UK Driving Licence
HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Conduct themselves in a manner which is consistent with safe operational activities at work as set out in
the company health and safety manual and site health and safety plans. Undertake and maintain the
following duties and responsibilities:
▪ Co-operate with the company through compliance with the requirements of the company health and
safety management system.
▪ Take reasonable care of the health and safety of themselves and of others who could be affected
by their acts or omissions.
▪ Work in accordance with instructions on health and safety matters and attend health and safety
▪ Do not misuse any equipment that is provided for health and safety purposes.
▪ Report hazards and defects observed in the workplace, and in the health and safety control
measures provided, which if not addressed could lead to a serious incident or accident.