Our clients focus is on attracting, retaining and developing people who share their passion and commitment to improve quality of life. In return they offer you the opportunity to transform your world and the world around you, that could be through client work, upskilling yourself, championing equality and inclusion or getting involved in charity work, to name just a few. Their people value different perspectives, they care about the sustainability of our planet and dare to shape the future.
Their core value is ‘people first’, they invest in you for the long term, to ensure you reach your full potential. You’ll have the opportunity to own your career and work on industry-defining projects, finding solutions to real challenges that make a difference to people’s lives. You’re encouraged to have a growth mindset and are given the space to develop personally and professionally, building a flexible career that works for you.
We are looking to recruit a Principal Engineer or Associate Technical Director, with practical geotechnical work and design experience, to join our clients growing Geotechnical, GIS and Geospatial business based in Cardiff. The role will predominantly be working within Highways, Water, Rail and Energy sectors, on a wide portfolio of schemes throughout the UK.
Reporting to the Regional Director, you will be required to lead their existing Cardiff Geotechnical Team and coordinate the geotechnical input into multidisciplinary design projects. The role will involve building relationships, controlling technical and commercial aspects, together with assisting and participating in developing team members to their full potential.
- Lead and line manage the existing Cardiff Geotechnical Team.
- Proactively manage selected projects or components of projects, including resource allocation, managing subcontractors and sub-consultants, quality assurance, health and safety and client feedback
- Manage the production of analysis and design, and ensure compliance in the components of the project, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies
- Identify opportunities and drive implementation of innovative strategies to maximise the technical value and profitability of design deliverables
- Gaining a good understanding of the background of the client’s business and industry
- Liaise with the Project Director or Manager and the client to keep informed of all developments
- Provide direction to the team, lead by example to achieve Sector / Discipline goals and champion a quality, innovative, client-focused and entrepreneurial culture
- Being familiar, compliant and able to undertake duties under the relevant H & S regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
Qualifications & Experience:
- MEng in Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical bias, or
- BSc in Geology with ah MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology bias, or
BSc or BEng in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology
- Chartership (CEng with ICE or IOM3, or CGeol with Geol. Society of London) is required
- RoGEP Registered Ground Engineering Adviser (desirable)
- Experience of preparation of geotechnical / engineering geology aspects of bids and business development
- Experienced in all stages of projects, from initial feasibility through to construction supervision and advice
- Good numerical and design skills and significant experience in the analysis of a wide range of geotechnical problems with the implementation of Eurocode 7.
- Detailed geotechnical design experience including foundations, retaining walls, slope stability assessments detailed design drawings and specifications.
- Experience in earthworks design, specification and implementation.
- Experience in ground investigation design and implementation.
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as in the use of routine geotechnical design applications such as Oasys suite (PDISP, GRETA, PILE, FREW, ALP), WALLAP, REPUTE and SLOPEW.
- Desirable (but not required) experience in SEEP/W and Finite Element Analysis (e.g. Plaxis).
- Familiar and up to date with Network Rail Standards.
- Working knowledge of National Highways Standards.
- Desirable experience as acting in the role of a Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE).
- Experience as a team leader or manager and supervising more junior members of staff
- Proven experience on large multi-disciplinary projects preferably in the UK
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to fulfil responsibilities of client liaison and mentoring junior staff
- Excellent people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues
- Possess a high level of knowledge and experience with regards commercial aspects of projects, including bidding and project management
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical data management applications such as OpenGround (required) and Leapfrog (desirable).
- Flexible to travel in UK and working away from base office when required
- Full and valid driving licence
Why Work For Our Client?
Their work with clients has a direct impact on people’s lives and on the planet. They make moving, living and belonging in cities safer, more resilient and more sustainable. By partnering with clients as responsible custodians of earth’s resources, an unstoppable force can create a sustainable planet.
Our client continues to think of new ways to make positive impacts and create better experiences for people; data driven and digital solutions have become part of our clients DNA. Working together with clients and using techniques like design thinking, they can get to the heart of their clients’ most pressing challenges and work together to solve them.
As a global business, they have committed to support five of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals to ensure that projects contribute to a better and more sustainable future for all. But it’s not just the work that they do on client projects that benefits communities and our planet. As a global business, our client committed to making a positive impact to society by supporting local communities where operations take place.
To help protect our planet, they monitor and measure non-financial information to inform business decisions and reduce their own environmental impact as part of a commitment to be net zero carbon as a global company by 2030.
Commitment to Equality, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging:
Our client wants you to be able to bring your best self to work every day which is why they take equality and inclusion seriously and hold themselves to account for their actions. The ambition is to be an employer of choice and provide a great place to work for all their people. They believe that by working together, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how they improve quality of life and they work closely with people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to success.